How To
October 8, 2015

How to work out a SAP score?

A SAP calculation is a legal requirement for all newly built dwellings within the UK and lies under Part L of the building regulations.

Standard Assessment Procedure (or SAP) is the only official, Government approved system for assessing a new build’s energy rating.

The SAP calculation assesses and compares how much energy a dwelling will consume along with the environmental impact i.e. fuel costs and emissions of carbon dioxide (CO2).  It is required in order to produce a Predicted Energy Assessment (PEA) and an On Construction Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) both of which should be submitted for any new dwellings before any construction begins.

You can find commonly asked questions below to help you on your SAP journey…

Q. Why do I have to be compliant?

Without a compliant SAP calculation building control, will not sign off the development and the property cannot be legally completed for sale or rental.

Q. Do I have to do anything different?

No, this is the beautiful thing – we advise you (or your builder) sticks to traditional masonry construction methods, if it’s not broken why fix it!

Q. What is a U-Value?

It’s simple – a U-Value measures the heat loss value through an element and is expressed in W/m2k.  The lower the U-Value, the lower the heat loss through the element.

At MKM, we can advise you on how to calculate this figure as well as which products can be used to help achieve compliance with the building regulations.

> For more information on SAP and reaching a FEES score, click here

Did you know we can work out your SAP calculation?  To find out more, view our handy guide telling you everything you need to know – view now.