Advice & Reviews
August 25, 2015

New ERP Legislation

The new Energy-related Products directive is due to be implemented from 26th September 2015, MKM are ready, are you?

The Energy-related Products directive is designed to help the EU achieve its 20- 20-20 target, to reduce its energy use by 20% and increase its share of renewable energies by 20% by the year 2020.

ErP affects all space and water heaters and will require the same type of energy efficiency labels as white goods.  You will still be able to install products purchased prior to 26th September but after this date boiler manufacturers and installers will have to ensure the products and systems they use meet the minimum requirements of the ErP.

How does this affect you?

The boiler manufacturers MKM deal with are responsible for ensuring their products have the correct energy labelling.

As the installer you are responsible for calculating a system efficiency figure based on the different components of the system i.e. boiler, cylinder and control, which will then need to be added to the energy efficiency label to complete the installation.

Manufacturers will supply the energy efficiency figures for individual products, therefore installers will simply need to add together the percentages to generate the overall figure i.e. boiler is 93% and the control is 5% your overall system figure is 98% making this A+rated.

All the information you need to calculate the system efficiency figure in the product information supplied by manufacturers.

For more information on ErP take a look at this video, prepared by leading experts at Ideal Boilers.